First Aid Information for Electric Shock

The danger from an electrical shock depends on the type of current, how high the voltage is, how the current traveled through the body, the person's overall health and how quickly the person is treated.

An electrical shock may cause burns, or it may leave no visible mark on the skin. In either case, an electrical current passing through the body can cause internal damage, cardiac arrest or other injury. Under certain circumstances, even a small amount of electricity can be fatal.

When to contact your doctor

A person who has been injured by contact with electricity should be seen by a doctor.

Mountain View


When to seek emergency care

Call local emergency number if the injured person experiences:

1. Separate the Person From Current's Source

To turn off power:

If you can't turn off power:

If high voltage lines are involved:

2. Do CPR, if Necessary

When you can safely touch the person, do CPR if the person is not breathing or does not have a pulse.

Mountain View

3. Check for Other Injuries

4. Follow Up